Never mind all these comments are helpful.

Monica

----- Original Message ----- From: "Garry Warber" <garrywar...@hughes.net>
To: <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2011 7:51 PM
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Buzzing [was "Gut strings"]

Oh my, I stepped on some toes... Okay, my responses are divided with yours:

-----Original Message----- From: R. Mattes
Sent: Monday, November 21, 2011 1:36 PM
To: Garry Warber ; lute@cs.dartmouth.edu

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 13:08:58 -0500, Garry Warber wrote
I second William.  I hesitate to jump in on these mysteries, but in
my makers years I actually never saw a loose-brace caused buzz...

Strange - I had three instruments with braces comming of, all of them
had a noticeable buzz who only showed up at certain pitch levels and
in certain weather (or, more precise) humidity conditions. Same happend
to some of my friends' instruments.
++++++yep, I am strange, true enough!  :-)

Most were from some bridge problem, and as I was a classic guitar
guy, mainly ill-fitting bridge bones.

And you really want to compare guitar bracing with lute bracing? I
_never_ saw a loose guitar brace (I assume we talk about modern guitar
here, no bridge bones on real ones ;-)
+++++reread please! No comparison, I was putting qualifiers on my suitability to even enter this fray. Also, I have built a few lutes, but I am no true "luthier."

My failsafe test for looses braces: take a tuning fork (preferably a
heavier one, like a low C fork), strike it, put the end on the sound
board and run it along the center and the sides of the top.
++++++ sounds like a su-poib way to find it! I'll remember that, just in case... How many tops have scratches plowed into them from that technique by the way? :-)

Cheers, RalfD