Dear Stuart,

   Many people nowadays use a quite large diameter first fret
   (around 1.00mm or even more on a relatively small [60cm] lute) but, as
   Martin points out, the best record of actual historic fret sizes is
   John Dowland (in Varietie) which suggests significantly thinner frets -
   these allow a lute to be 'set fine' ie minimum distance between string
   and fingerboard at the higher frets, so easing higher fret fingering.

   I try to aim for first fret at 0.90mm on this size of instrument but,
   again as Martin points out, this depends on the set of your particular
   instrument. So that if the neck has pulled up a bit, or even
   incorrectly set from the start, you can use almost same diameter frets
   right  up the fingerboard (around 0.70mm) - like a modern 'classical'
   guitar. But if the neck set is in the same plane as the belly (at the
   bridge) you may well need graduated frets. As said,  I aim for a
   setting on this size lute which allows from 0.90 (first) down to around
   0.50mm (8th fret).

   Thomas Mace also gives some info (again, hurrah Thos.!): 'with a fine
   smooth File, cut the Notches to a convenient depth so that all your
   Strings may lye at an even and equal height, from the Finger-Board,
   which would be about the thickness of a Half-Crown, or a little
   more;'.   So if you know the thickness of a halfcrown in 1676 you know
   the distance from the underside of the strings to the fingerboard at
   the nut he's advocating and hence you may judge the diameter of his
   ideal first fret.

   Finally, Martin raises the matter of double v single  loop frets: in
   fact there is no early evidence for the use of single loop frets with
   the noticeable exception, again, of the all-inclusive Thos Mace who, it
   should be noted, when it comes down to describing how to tie a fret
   desribes the usual double loop. You may care to see my paper on this
   very subject in the forthcoming issue of FoMRHI Quarterly.

   regards

   Martyn