Yikes!  I've just googled the thickness of a 1676 half crown and it is
   2.23mm.  That seems an awful lot.

   Bill

   From: Martyn Hodgson <hodgsonmar...@yahoo.co.uk>
   To: Lute List <lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>; Stuart Walsh
   <s.wa...@ntlworld.com>
   Sent: Wednesday, 15 August 2012, 10:46
   Subject: [LUTE] Re: fret gut
     Dear Stuart,
     Many people nowadays use a quite large diameter first fret
     (around 1.00mm or even more on a relatively small [60cm] lute) but,
   as
     Martin points out, the best record of actual historic fret sizes is
     John Dowland (in Varietie) which suggests significantly thinner frets
   -
     these allow a lute to be 'set fine' ie minimum distance between
   string
     and fingerboard at the higher frets, so easing higher fret fingering.
     I try to aim for first fret at 0.90mm on this size of instrument but,
     again as Martin points out, this depends on the set of your
   particular
     instrument. So that if the neck has pulled up a bit, or even
     incorrectly set from the start, you can use almost same diameter
   frets
     right  up the fingerboard (around 0.70mm) - like a modern 'classical'
     guitar. But if the neck set is in the same plane as the belly (at the
     bridge) you may well need graduated frets. As said,  I aim for a
     setting on this size lute which allows from 0.90 (first) down to
   around
     0.50mm (8th fret).
     Thomas Mace also gives some info (again, hurrah Thos.!): 'with a fine
     smooth File, cut the Notches to a convenient depth so that all your
     Strings may lye at an even and equal height, from the Finger-Board,
     which would be about the thickness of a Half-Crown, or a little
     more;'.  So if you know the thickness of a halfcrown in 1676 you know
     the distance from the underside of the strings to the fingerboard at
     the nut he's advocating and hence you may judge the diameter of his
     ideal first fret.
     Finally, Martin raises the matter of double v single  loop frets: in
     fact there is no early evidence for the use of single loop frets with
     the noticeable exception, again, of the all-inclusive Thos Mace who,
   it
     should be noted, when it comes down to describing how to tie a fret
     desribes the usual double loop. You may care to see my paper on this
     very subject in the forthcoming issue of FoMRHI Quarterly.
     regards
     Martyn