From:                          Bruno Correia <bruno.l...@gmail.com>

   Subject:                      [LUTE] Re: general public Lute awareness

      Dear Tom,

      I play mostly solo and in duo, that's not just because I like it

      but above all for financial reasons. Sure, a big ensemble will

      appeal to more people, however, who's going to pay the bill?

       Well said Bruno!

   Thanks,

     Tom

   Some on this board have even put forth the notion that "duos don't

      draw audience, but trios or more will".

      2013/8/5 <[1]t...@heartistrymusic.com>

           Back to the original premise:

              > The problem is lack of support - if not outright

              > hostility - from the "mainstream" classical music

        establishment.

              > While my perception of what I and other early music

        performers do

              > is that we play classical music, many, many "official"

        classical

              > musicians do not share this view.

             I have run into this dilemma trying to program early music

             as a

           board member for a small-town local non-profit that presents a

           series of "classical" music concerts.  The attitude of

        violinists,

           etc.

           who prefer Brahms seems to be one of disdain for EM.

             While concert attendance in our community is totally

        unpredictable,

           these board members are all too ready to point to "lutes" as

           an example of low numbers, even though there have been lower

           numbers for 19th and 20th century concerts.  ( ... never mind

           the blizzard or sub-zero temperatures that probably had an

           impact! )

             Some on this board have even put forth the notion that "duos

        don't

           draw audience, but trios or more will".  There is absolutely

           no

        hard

           data to support this, but they believe it anyway, even though

           one

        of

           their pet performers (that happens to play a lot of Brahms)

           consistently draws well and is - a duo!

             Absurd, and one reason that I stepped down from that board.

           How can the early music community begin to change these

        perceptions?

             Tom Draughon

           Heartistry Music

           [2]www.heartistry.com

           Chris Wilke wrote:

              In America, I haven't found any lack of interest in lute or

        early

              music from the broader public. Many people who are

              intimidated

        by

              perceived ritual and stuffy atmosphere of standard

              classical concerts are drawn in by the look and sound of

              early

        instruments.

              Some marketers have recognized this: early music is quite

              well represented in classical music station playlists.

              (I've just

        been

              invited to give a one hour interview/lute performance on

              our

        local

              public radio station here in Rochester, for example.) My

              own

        solo

              concerts and performances by the student early music

              ensembles

        I've

              directed have drawn healthy crowds. This is good, but there

        are

              larger issues. The problem is lack of support - if not

        outright

              hostility - from the "mainstream" classical music

        establishment.

              While my perception of what I and other early music

              performers

        do

              is that we play classical music, many, many "official"

        classical

              musicians do not share this view. Indeed, at colleges where

        was

              employed, significant public response was ultimately

        detrimental as

              it drew the flagrant ire of at least two tenured professors

        with

              great influence in the departments. Both of these

              professors actively petitioned against having any early

              music performance activities at their respective colleges,

              ostensibly on the

        grounds

              that it distracted students from giving full attention to

              the "real" program of instruction. (One of the professors

              had the

        gaul

              to tell me to my face, "You're not a real ensemble because

              you don't play in parts." WTF? The majority of what we

              performed

        was

              renaissance polyphony!) I think they were afraid we were

        making

              them look bad. Concerts were not free to the public; box

        office

              receipts showed that we were bringing in actual revenue.

              And

        maybe,

              just maybe, my esteemed senior colleagues were jealous also

              of

        the

              fact that students were learning and having fun. Oh well,

        those

              professors are still there doing the same old thing and I

              am

        still

              struggling very much to find work years later. Good for

              them.

        Chris

              Dr. Christopher Wilke D.M.A.

              Lutenist, Guitarist and Composer