On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 11:56:49 -0700, Nancy Carlin wrote
> As some of you know I spent 35 years as an agent for musicians,
>  between my 2 stints with the LSA - a lot of this time was working
> on building careers and salability for folk and Celtic musicians. I
> see a few things missing that other genres of music have used to
> grab toe holds in the ladder toward success (or just keeping the
> heads above water).
>
> - web pages. This is the first place where potential employers
> (concert promoters etc.) look to find contact information. There are
> more than a few "names" in the lute world who do not have their own
> web sites. When you Google them all you get is links to buy their
> CDs. - email lists.

Here I have to strongly object. I think that web-pages are totally
over-rated (and I _do_ have some experience with the World Wide
Web). Of all the musicians I know, only one, once, got a concert
because of his web page. Maybe it's totally different in the states
but the idea that a concert organizer googles for a Lute player
(or any other kind of musician) is absurd. You get concerts because
you _know_ people (and contact them at least twice a year!). You
build up networks - invite other musicians to concert series you
organize and hopefuly you get invited back (oh, and you need to
have at least a small concert series :-)

The problem of most organizers/comitees is not having to few
groups to play (and hence having to find some) - it's more often
having too many ....

> I have yet to see a paper out at a lute concert
> where the players is collecting emails for his own mailing list.
> Concert promoters have a hard time getting audiences out and need
> all the help they can get. Musicians who help them fill the seats
> get booked. - the lute world seems to be made up of players of all
> levels, but completely empty of people who are just fans.

Yes, that's sadly a phenomen the lute world shares with the
guitar world. Player-only-audiences. I think it correlates with
the fact that guitar-/lute players often _only_ listen to
Lute/Guitar music (have a look at your lute/guitar player friends
CD shelves). I prefer to dwell in the early music world where ensembles
do have "fan" audiences.

 Cheers, RalfD