Spain was not an exception regarding free vs. conservative thinking. I mean,
Spain was not more conservative than England or France, in regard to what is
right or wrong in religion, morality (for instance sexuality…) and so on. Fear
was (and is) the explication of nearly everything.

Perhaps Jean Delumeau (La peur en Occident, Fayard, 1978) hits the nail when he
says, concluding his wonderful book, that Satan was seen everywhere. He is the
enemy, he inspires the turks, the witches, the heresies, the plagues, etc. When
the attention is focused on jews and 'moriscos' (that is what happens in
Spain), the witches are not so closely monitorized. In other european
countries, not so much worried with jews, heresies (here the protestants, there
the catholics) were prosecuted instead. Only two countries, Delumeau continues,
"escaped from this general fear: Poland and Italy. The latter perhaps because
of being more pagan than his neighbors (that was Erasmus' opinion), or because
the church was controlling it better than elsewhere. In any case, it seems that
Italy lost his mind because of these fears in a lesser degree than other
countries."

But… if we read Carlo Ginzburg's Il formaggio e i fermi. Il cosmo di un mugnaio
del '500 (1976), a seminal work in micro-history, Italy suffered under the
inquisition as well.
Galileo's case is of course very well known.

It's all too easy to project from our present time to that past.

Regards from Barcelona, dear lute friends. :-)

Manolo