Gary's point really answers the question.  Printed music was indeed
   rare, expensive, and required an essentially monopolized royal
   privilege to publish.  Besides, Spain is really considered the source
   of many of the grounds that were the basis for improvised dance music
   that traveled widely in the 15th and 16th centuries.  As is the case
   with so-called "ficta" in vocal polyphony, why bother to publish
   something so commonly known and so well understood?  There simply was
   no need to write it down. In the words of Reinhard Strohm:

     As [music] is essentially aural communication, the best part of it
     cannot be recovered, only reconstructedMusical notation is only a
     secondary witness.  What is more, much of the music actually heard
     in the late Middle Ages was never written down at all.

   Reinhard Strohm, The Close of the Middle Ages, Antiquity and the Middle
   Ages : From ancient Greece to the 15th century, Ed. McKinnon, James:
   Englewood Cliffs, N.J. : Prentice Hall, 1991, p. 276.
   RA
   > Date: Mon, 4 May 2015 12:52:47 -0400
   > To: dwinh...@lmi.net; praelu...@hotmail.com; r.ba...@gmx.de;
   lute@cs.dartmouth.edu
   > From: boy...@appstate.edu
   > Subject: [LUTE] Re: Spain vs. Italy
   >
   > A word of caution here:
   >
   > We are making judgements based primarily on the printed evidence
   (i.e.,
   > the 7 main vihuela tablatures); there was a great deal of music (most
   of
   > it!) that took place in Spain outside of these formal, published
   works.

   > Publishing was a big deal in the 16th century. Getting an imprimatur
   > from a conservative and literally Inquisitorial government was
   unlikely
   > with a large collection of dance music; much easier to play it
   > conservative and stick to sacred intabulations. The vihuela
   manuscripts
   > hint at a wider repertoire, as does the existence of guitar music
   from a
   > later period. Who knows what was happening on the streets, but the
   > Inquisition wouldn't have had much to do if everyone in Spain was a
   > straight-laced as the vihuela tablatures make it seem . . .
   >
   > Gary
   >
   > Dr. Gary R. Boye
   > Professor and Music Librarian
   > Appalachian State University
   >
   > On 5/4/2015 12:37 PM, Dan Winheld wrote:
   > > In other words, because the only two ethnic/cultural groups that
   had
   > > any rhythm were invited to leave the premises at once. It was said
   > > that when all the Jewish & Moorish doctors, scholars, scientists,
   and
   > > artists & academics showed up on his doorstep, the Sultan of Turkey
   > > asked "Has the King of Spain lost his mind?"
   > >
   > > Lacking some rhythm myself, I do enjoy the all the great vihuela
   music
   > > a lot- but even I have to sometimes "move" over to Italy & Germany
   for
   > > a little jumping around.
   > >
   > > Dan
   > >
   > > On 5/4/2015 3:36 AM, Ron Andrico wrote:
   > >> Well, the first answer that springs to mind is because Spain had
   > >> recently kicked out all the dance musicians, who had moved to
   Italy.