From: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] On Behalf Of
Edward Chrysogonus Yong
Sent: Tuesday, May 05, 2015 4:55 AM
To: Mark Wheeler
Cc: Monica Hall; ml; Lutelist
Subject: [LUTE] Re: Spain vs. Italy

England falling to 16th C Catholic Spain may have been better for music and
culture than falling to Cromwell and the Puritans, just saying...

========

τούτο ηλεκτρονικόν ταχυδρομείον εκ είΦωνου εμεύ επέμφθη.
Hæ litteræ electronicæ ab iPhono missæ sunt.
此電子郵件發送于自吾iPhone。
This e-mail was sent from my iPhone.

> On 5 May 2015, at 4:40 pm, Mark Wheeler <l...@pantagruel.de> wrote:
>
> Regarding Elizabeth I's racism here is an interesting article
>
> https://www.press.jhu.edu/timeline/sel/Bartels_2006.pdf
>
> What Monica says about not judging the past by an inappropriate set of
> criteria is true and is also appropriate to the "racism" of the English Queen.
>
> It may not be PC, but I personally am exceedingly happy that England did not
> fall to 16th century Catholic Spain!
>
> All the best
> Mark
>

>> On May 5, 2015, at 9:41 AM, Monica Hall wrote:
>>
>> Yes - you are right.  We shouldn't judge the past by an inappropriate set of
>> criteria.
>> Spain has got a bad press in the English speaking world because most of us
>> study history from an English/Northern Europe point of view.
>> Queen Elizabeth I was a racist - want to expel all coloured people from
>> England.  So was Shakespeare.  Jews are always villains.
>>
>> Monica briefly
>>

>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "ml" <man...@manololaguillo.com>

>>> monitorized. In other european countries, not so much worried with jews,
>>> heresies (here the protestants, there the catholics) were prosecuted