It would be interesting to know when Robert Spencer made his comment. Some years ago now, I suspect, and many aspects of early music performance have probably evolved positively since.

If a good quality lute in the right hands is played in an appropriate acoustic (here in France we are lucky to have numerous Romanesque churches which certainly fit the bill), it is anything but 'nearly inaudible'. As to the music being 'strange', I have very often noted how immediately many even neophyte audiences take to renaissance music.

What is this 'inward' looking you suggest Ron? What ulterior motives should I be looking for??

Here is a link to an introduction by David Crystal of original pronunciation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPlpphT7n9s

I think he makes a very convincing case for the use and intelligibility of an early accent. Obviously there was not just one Elizabethan accent but that is hardly a reason for downing tools and systematically adopting R.P., which itself is an obvious instance of your McDonald's 'predictable French fries' (and I am definitely not a consumer of the latter). In my opinion, pronunciation is every bit as important as many other aspects of early music performance for conveying aesthetics, meaning and emotion and is anything but 'so much window dressing'.

Best,

Matthew