I recently saw a hurdy gurdy (19th century?) in an antique shop with some drone
gut strings that looked (to my eye) about 1.5 - 1.75 mm in diameter. They were
pretty old. I’ll bet it’s still there with that $3k price tag if anyone wants
it. A nice old theorbo’d Vandervogl, too, that they had labeled as 18th century
(early 20th cent. wound strings).

Sean