Von: lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu [mailto:lute-...@cs.dartmouth.edu] Im Auftrag
von Mimmo - Aquila Corde Armoniche
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 31. August 2017 19:59
An: Dan Winheld
Cc: Lute List
Betreff: [LUTE] Re: KF vs. new Aquila bass strings

Thanks Dan.
'The Lute in its historical reality' will be soon update; in fact, there are
some new things:

1) Lute chantarelles: I was able to do a few  experimental lute 1st string
starting from a lamb- whole gut of 1to 3 months of life (see Attyanasius
Kirker, Rome 1650) . The samples were even on their whole  lenght (not
conical or tapered, I mean: see Capirola 1517 ca.); the breacking point was
around 36 Kg/mm2; the gauges, -after a slight hand-polishing-  were between
.39- .42 mm. The sound? Marvelous (isn't interesting?).

2) Vihuela unissons/octaves: I have to re-write some points because they
were not well explained. Yes, I still think that the Vihuela 5th, 6th bases
were with octaves, not in usissons.

3) 17 th c. lute basses (loaded): I have a few more historical informations
to add to the section.

4) There are much more historical evidences concerning the use of wound
strings on German d -minor lutes of 11 & 13 courses. The first is of 1716
(Thanks to Andreas Schleger researching). There are others: one of 1730's;
one of 1740's; two of 1760's; one of 1790's.  Unfortunately is not weritten
if the wound strings were done on gut or silk cores.

Take care
Mimmo

Inviato da iPhone

> Il giorno 31 ago 2017, alle ore 18:20, Dan Winheld <dwinh...@lmi.net> ha
scritto:

> And not to be forgotten, the great work of Dan Larson of "Gamut" Strings-
using real gut subjected to great research & creativity to bring us lute
strings- esp. those troublesome basses- that come closer to a "real" thing!