John and Antonio,

Sorry for the late response, but with the end of the school year upon us, I
hadn’t the opportunity to consult my sources that led me to my comment that
Sor used a nail on his thumb.  I was in error abut that, but not about Sor
using nails for special effect.  Antonio, thanks for alerting me to that quote.
 Funny, if you had looked at the text just before the one you quoted in his
method, you would've see the following.

>From his method (1830):

“Comme le hautbois a un son tout-à-fait nasal, non seulement j’attaque la
corde le plus près que possible du chevalet, mais je courbe mes doigts, et
j’emploie le peu d’ongle que j’ai pour les attaquer: c’est le seul cas
où j’ai cru pouvoir m’en servir sans inconvénient.” (21)

Translation by A. Merrick:

"As the hautboy has quite a nasal sound, I not only touch the strings as near
as possible to the bridge but I curve my fingers and use the little nail that I
possess to set them in vibration and this is the only case which I have thought
myself able to employ the nail without inconvenience." (16-17)

The quote "Never in my life have I heard a guitarist whose playing was,
supportable if he played with the nails…” refers to exclusive nail playing,
as Aguado had practiced (that is, until he met Sor, after which the former
began to use only flesh for the thumb).  So it’s pretty clear from the quote
that Sor kept his nails very short, so as to employ the fleshy part of the
fingertip in almost all of his playing.  Nevertheless, based on Sor’s own
words, we cannot say that he never used the nails of the right hand in playing.

Cheers,
Jorge