Dear Antonio,

I was also thinking of some musical similarities between Verdelot's madrigal "Madonna per voi ardo" and Milan's piece. They are admittedly too vague to suggest that Milan directly used it as a model, but perhaps as a starting point, or there was some other version of the song that they both heard. But I think they are enough to at least speculate that he had some existing Italian setting in mind when composing his own.

Dmitry