Hi Aryan

I've been using rsync to migrate whole hard drives for years. In my
option its the only way to do it.

rsync -aPSvx --numeric-ids --delete <source-directory>/
<destination-host>:<destination-directory>/

If you want compression you can add a 'z'
ssh between machines used if you add the destination host.

The '/' are very important or you will end up deleting the wrong thing
when you run rsync multiply times.

I use vservers (www.linux-vservers.org) which means I copy the files a
few times then shutdown the virtual guest and run rsync once then start
it up on the new machine.

Cheers
Mike



On 26/03/13 6:14 AM, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> What's the best way to copy a large directory tree (around 3TB in
> total) with a combination of large and small files? The files
> currently reside on my NAS which is on my LAN (connected via gigabit
> ethernet) and are mounted on my system as a NFS share. I would like to
> copy all files/directories to an external hard disk connected via USB.
>
> I care about speed, but I also care about reliability, making sure
> that every file is copied, that all metadata is preserved and that
> errors are handled gracefully. I've done some research and currently,
> I am thinking of using tar or rsync, or a combination of the two.
> Something like:
>
> tar --ignore-failed-read -C $SRC -cpf - . | tar --ignore-failed-read
> -C $DEST -xpvf -
>
> to copy everything initially, and then
>
> rsync -ahSD --ignore-errors --force --delete --stats $SRC/ $DIR/
>
> To check everything with rsync.
>
> What do you guys think about this? Am I missing something? Are there
> better tools for this? Or other useful options for tar and rsync that
> I am missing?
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Aryan
> _______________________________________________
> luv-main mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://lists.luv.asn.au/listinfo/luv-main

_______________________________________________
luv-main mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.luv.asn.au/listinfo/luv-main

Reply via email to