On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM, Trent W. Buck <[email protected]> wrote:

> Note -a does not do -HSX, and you're only passing -S.
> Both -H and -S have significant overhead, so pass them iff you need them.
>
> -a implies -D, so don't bother.
>
> Looks like -a also omits -A, though that's never stung me.
> -X stung me once due to capabilities(7); IIRC samba also uses it.


Thanks to everyone for their very helpful advice, especially Craig,
Mike and Trent. I've done a few test runs on a few small
subdirectories, and the bottleneck seems to be the USB 2.0 interface
of my computer, with plenty of RAM, CPU and network capacity to spare.
On a test run copying to my internal SSD, tar was significantly faster
than rsync (around 5X faster in my particular setup), but when copying
to the external HDD, as I said it was the USB 2.0 interface that was
bottleneck, so I've decided that I might as well use the more reliable
tool, rsync for the job.

Also thanks for the tips on rsync. I can't believe that in over 14
years of using Linux as my main desktop OS, I had never used this
tool. Looking back, it could have been very useful in a few situations
were cp and cpio and tar left a lot to be desired.

Cheers
-- 
Aryan
_______________________________________________
luv-main mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.luv.asn.au/listinfo/luv-main

Reply via email to