Hi there Just a point to consider:
Does your NAS have usb ports on it? If so, I'd log into there and do it all there. It does seem that an awful lot of time is being wasted here with network latency. Especially if the NAS has any USB 3 ports. Personally I would use rsync all the way with this stuff but I'm not likely to be the most knowledgeable on that one. Cheers Paul Miller On 26 March 2013 08:39, Hiddensoul (Mark Clohesy) < [email protected]> wrote: > > > On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 8:18 AM, Aryan Ameri <[email protected]> wrote: > >> On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 8:08 AM, Edward Savage <[email protected]> wrote: >> > Home NAS devices are very CPU limited so compressing files is the last >> thing you want to do. >> >> >> Correct me if I am mistaken, but I thought the machine that's going to >> be compressing and decompressing is my workstation/desktop, so the CPU >> that will be taxed is that one, no? How does it then have anything to >> do with the CPU in my NAS? >> >> > Yes that is correct, if you are taking files from the NAS then compressing > them on your local machine then uncompressing them on the same local > machine then putting them on the external USB drive, why > compress/uncompress at all ? > > At the end of the day you are still moving uncompressed data across the > network so you are just adding extra steps with tar... > > >> Cheers >> -- >> Aryan >> _______________________________________________ >> luv-main mailing list >> [email protected] >> http://lists.luv.asn.au/listinfo/luv-main >> > > > > -- > > Mark "Pockets" Clohesy > Mob Phone: (+61) 406 417 877 > Email: [email protected] > G-Talk: [email protected] > GNU/Linux..Linux Counter #457297 > - > "I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code" > "Linux is user friendly...its just selective about who its friends are" > > > > > > _______________________________________________ > luv-main mailing list > [email protected] > http://lists.luv.asn.au/listinfo/luv-main > >
_______________________________________________ luv-main mailing list [email protected] http://lists.luv.asn.au/listinfo/luv-main
