Edward Savage <[email protected]> writes:

>> tar --ignore-failed-read -C $SRC -cpf - . | tar --ignore-failed-read
>> -C $DEST -xpvf -
> Home NAS devices are very CPU limited so compressing files is the last thing 
> you want to do.  

I don't see where he's compressing anything.

OP: if you use tar you'll want to be root on both sides or you'll lose
ownership &c stuff.  Also you MAY want --numeric-owner.

> An rsync still has to build file lists and calculate a hash for each
> but this process will be much faster.  I suggest an initial rsync to
> move the bulk of the data and then a final pass when you're ready to
> stop using the NAS.

I would say just use rsync for both runs because it's less hassle, and
if you interrupt it halfway you can pick up where you left off (tar
obviously won't).

_______________________________________________
luv-main mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.luv.asn.au/listinfo/luv-main

Reply via email to