On Fri, 29 Jan 1999, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

JML> An appendix could also be seen as a box (inset, float, whatever) in
JML> which sections change meaning.
JML>
JML> In fact, we have to support importing LaTeX documents with
JML> appendices. This means some kind of support for \appendix.

As LaTeX2e also supports \{front|main|back}matter, which are switching
command similar to \appendix, my (second) proposal would be to add the
menu

Layout->Character...
        Paragraph...
        Sectioning (or so)
        Document...

Sectioning could either be a submenu containing
->Start of Appendix
  Start of Frontmatter
  Start of Mainmatter
  Start of Backmatter

or, even better, a dialog box, where one also could do things like
change the header/footer with markboth{}, reset the page counter, and
so on, i.e. all things that are between the paragraph and document
level.

Have fun,

    Fred

Fred Hucht, Institute of Theoretical Physics, University of Duisburg, Germany
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]               http://www.thp.Uni-Duisburg.DE/
"Der Koerper der algebraischen Zahlen ist kein algebraischer Zahlkoerper"
(E. Landau, Zahlentheorie (1927), Satz 718)