Alejandro> Hi, If LANG=es, all spaces are converted to ñ in LyX code
Alejandro> mode. Is it really necessary to export all spaces as ~
Alejandro> under this layout?

As far as I know, this is necessary to make sure the spaces are of the
same size as normal characters. The problem lies rather in babel
spanish support, where it is not possible to switch off active ~
(\noextrasspanish is not defined although it should be). It would be
nice if some spanish-speaking user could sort out this problem with
the mintainers of spanish.ldf.

Something like
\AtBeginDocument{\def~{\nobreakspace{}}}
in the preamble should help in the meantime [not tested, as always]

We could also make lyx output \nobreakspace{} instead of ~, but I am
not sure I like this solution...