On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Seak, Teng-Fong wrote:

> "Kayvan A. Sylvan" wrote:
> > Seak, Teng-Fong wrote:
> > >      While we're here, allow me to suggest that LyX icon file be
> > > installed too.  In rpm packages, which are destinated for Linux, icon
> > > file can be put in /usr/share/icons which is the system-wide icon
> > > directory for KDE.  I seldom use Gnome but I think its icon directory is
> > > /usr/share/pixmaps
> >
> > These are already installed in /usr/share/lyx/images
>
>      I know that it's installed there, but that's different from having them
> installed directly in those locations.  Or maybe it should be written somewhere
> that the icon file can be found in /usr/share/lyx/images.  Suppose you're a new LyX
> user (or system administrator).  You have just installed LyX.  Then you want to
> create short-cut for LyX (especially necessary for an administrator than a single
> user).  If the icon file isn't installed in standard place
..............................................^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

The trouble is there is no standard place except perhaps embedded in the
executable or stored in the applications directory tree.

As you've already said KDE, CDE and Gnome all put icons in different
places.  The Linux Standard Base project is still argueing about where
icons should be put -- and that'd only solve things for Linux where would
we put icons on Solaris, Digital Unix, Windows etc.?

If a system admin wants to install LyX from an rpm they can always use:
        rpm -ql lyx
once they've installed to see where everything went.  Or if they are
compiling from source the icon is equally easy to find.

Allan. (ARRae)