Koji Yokota schrieb:

Is it possible to provide an option for Japanese language to use the combination of jtex and japanese package in the next release? It means that Japanese language should be available without CJK nor inputenc package in Japanese encodings such as EUC-JP and JIS. It would be a great improvement to use lyx in Japanese.

Hello Koji,
first sorry for my late reply.

As first step I put in your patch you sent me in May:
http://www.lyx.org/trac/changeset/20831
(patch from here:
 http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg117750.html )

I also started a Wiki page describing how to set up LyX for Japanese:
http://wiki.lyx.org/Windows/Japanese
Could you please help me to complete it: How to install on Linux, How to test
the installation.

Now there is the following issues left:

- You sent me this example file:

\documentclass[english]{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage{babel}
\usepackage{japanese}

\begin{document}

日本語をテストします。
英語---English---のテストです。

\end{document}

When must the japanese package be loaded, before or after babel? Or can I alternatively load babel directly with \usepackage[japanese]{babel}

When I try to create the above file, LyX produces at the moment this:

\documentclass[english]{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[latin1]{inputenc}
\usepackage{babel}

\begin{document}

日本語をテストします。
英語\foreignlanguage{english}{---English---}のテストです。

\end{document

This but also your file leads to LaTeX errors due to the loading of latin1 with
the inputenc package:

! Package inputenc Error: Keyboard character used is undefined
(inputenc)                in inputencoding `latin1'.

Can you process LyX's current LaTeX code? For me it only works when I omit the
inputenc package.

(I still haven't installed pTeX as I need a clean MiKTeX installation for
tomorrows LyX 1.5.2 release.)

best regards
Uwe