Koji Yokota schrieb:

Another problem is that these Japanese-aware latex's are usually compiled separately for EUC, JIS, SJIS and UTF-8 to suit users' environment. Now, default of "Japanese (non-CJK)" is to use EUC but this may cause a problem for users on Windows (SJIS).

I've seen this too - my pTeX uses JIS as default encoding.

Indeed, when I change the encoding to "JIS-plain" when the language is "Japanese (non-CJK)" on my EUC platform, lyx crashes when compiling a latex file, with an exception error (iconv_open(out_cd_): invalid argument).

This is indeed a must fix. Could you please report it at bugzilla.lyx.org?

the best thing is to fix relation between the entry "Japanese (non-CJK)" and encodings at the configuration time (latex binary's encoding is fixed by the environment, so users need not change it). Can this be handled somehow?

That means the LyX's configure.py should check what encoding is used by the found LaTeX-system and then set the correct default encoding for japanese-plain in LyX's encodings file?
I think we could try this, but how can we get the information what encoding a
LaTeX is built for?
Could you also please add for this issue a bug report at bugzilla?

regards Uwe