Uwe Stöhr wrote:
> But the word "Part" appears for me still in English and not in Japanese. But
> the japanese-package
> should have translated it. Does the translation work for you with your system
> and my example?

The file you attached worked fine except that I had to convert from the
DOS (CR/LF) format to UNIX (LF) format :P (BTW, isn't this problematic
to exchange documents between Windows and Unix? LyX on FreeBSD judges a
lyx document written on Windows as a wrong format, raises an error and
simply stops. One must convert the format manually.)

"Part" is not translated on the lyx screen due to an untraslated entry
in the Japanese message file of LyX. But the DVI file it generates
contains "Part" in Japanese correctly.

> One remaining issue:
> I currently built in that \usepackage{japanese} is loaded when the document
> language is
> "japanese-plain"; should is also be loaded when the document language is
> "japanese" (the one that
> uses CJK and inputenc)?

I'm not very sure at the moment, but an adhoc test shows that it seems
necessary.

INFO: there are de-facto-standard Japanese-aware styles such as
jarticle, jreport, jbook, jsarticle and jsbook. As far as users use
these styles, the japanese package is not necessary. In other words,
when users use these styles, the call of japanese package is redundant
(and the result may be slightly different). But as a universal solution,
using japanese package will be second-best.

I personally think layouts for these styles should be included in LyX
because they are standard for Japanese language, but again, problem is
that these are not found in CTAN.

These styles are in the modified BSD license. I wonder if I can upload
them to CTAN as a proxy. Is anyone sure about this?

Koji