Koji Yokota schrieb:

No, you must omit the inputenc package, and the japanese package should be loaded after babel declaration.

I built it in now:
http://www.lyx.org/trac/changeset/20861

LyX now produces this:

---
\documentclass[english]{article}
\usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
\usepackage{babel}
\usepackage{japanese}

\makeatletter
\makeatother

\begin{document}
日本語をテストします。

英語\foreignlanguage{english}{---English---}のテストです。

\part{testPart}
\end{document}
--

(see attached LyX file (fileformat version of the latest LyX SVN trunk))

But the word "Part" appears for me still in English and not in Japanese. But the japanese-package should have translated it. Does the translation work for you with your system and my example?

One remaining issue:
I currently built in that \usepackage{japanese} is loaded when the document language is "japanese-plain"; should is also be loaded when the document language is "japanese" (the one that uses CJK and inputenc)?

regards Uwe