Pavel Sanda wrote:
Yes, but the point is that by using xdg-open, we use whatever the user has set as default, rather than (say) using acroread when they've set kpdf. The

afaik the problem is that there is no unified system how to handle file types in linux.
Yes, but....

xdg-open is just script trying handle gnome,kde and xfce; so anyone using
another manager (e16 in my case) get firefox for _any_ kind for filetype.

not if you have mimeopen installed, which basically reads the freesesktop files and the like. But yet, I sympathize and am trying to figure out how reliably to detect such cases and configure them appropriately.

we have our own system for launching viewers for different filetypes, so why to
pass the control to xdg-open, which (at least on some) systems work worse ?

The idea, again, is that the user may already have configured a default PDF viewer. So let's use it, right? Why make them configure it again?

the fact that my firefox is able to detect what application lanuch for .ps and
.pdf seems to indicate that xdg-open does its job poorly.

It's not magic: firefox has its own database mapping mimetypes to viewers. xdg-open just defers to it.

rh