rgheck wrote:

We've been using xdg-open as the first choice for the Debian packages and subsequently the Ubuntu packages for over a year now and didn't receive such
a problem report so I suspect that it makes more sense to fix the broken
setup instead of reverting this change.

The only way you can get to the browser bit is (a) not to be using KDE, Gnome, or XFCE, and (b) not to have a working version of mimeopen installed. That's a perfectly sensible setup,
Seems to match what I have. Debian, using icewm for speed, xfce packages not
installed and couldn't find any mimeopen stuff.  Still, xdg-open works well
for pdf files, they open in xpdf as expected.

but in that case we shouldn't use xdg-open, I'd guess.
Well - why not?

If the user have xdg-open (in debian's case, the xdg-utils package) then
they should configure it properly. If they don't want to use xdg-open,
then get rid of xdg-utils and LyX configure will pick the next possible viewer...

Helge Hafting