> I don't think that it would help a lot to hack parts of the mime detection

DE detection will solve it, but it would uglify the code and could break
anytime DE change something etc.

> > So the only to viable options I see are
> > a) remove the xdg-open calls

agree with this.

> > aa) and maybe replace them with a list of the distro specific tools like
> >     mimeopen or run-mailcap (pretty long and ugly list ...)

and also i think this should be the worry of distros devs.

> > b) try push some changes to xdg-open and hope for a fast adoption rate
> > within the Linux distribution oekosystem.

afaik this is going to be longtime job if you want to solve it generally.

but maybe Richard conceive something from the mimeopen stuff.

pavel