> the minority, and the focus should be to help fix these exceptional cases,

this means to put the whole mime stuff into xdg because there is no promise
that every distro has the mailcap/mime packages. even if you manage to write
such patches it will take some time to push it upstream (i see the Per's patch
was written in 2006) and then back to distros.

so the solution is either make some DE detection in our config scripts or drop
it from the time being and wait.

> not regress for everyone.  imo.

well now the status is we have regression of 1.5.3 to 1.5.2 for some users.

pavel