Hi Uwe, Richard, Abdel,
as a user (with some latex background and several years as grateful LyX user) I would like to contribute my 2cents.

For me it would be a helpful start to find in the documentation a short explanation of the existing character styles. That certainly would help to construct new ones (using vim to edit a layout file ;-)

Thanks for all your engagement

Hellmut

Uwe Stöhr schrieb:
rgheck schrieb:

Well, if you're going to leave InsetInfo until after 1.6, we can do this together. You can tell me what character styles you want, and I'll produce definitions of them that you can use.

This wouldn't help. What we need is a way to define your own character styles. That means that the users can define its own character styles and change their definitions via a dialog (similar to branches). Currently the user has to fiddle around with a text editor and the layout files. He furthermore has to read the Customization manual carefully to understand how the layout files are modified. This is not user friendly and error prone, so I doubt that users will use character styles.

Concerning the docs, when I use character styles, I have to describe how they can be created and edited, but then the character styles need an UI as we currently discuss in the layout editor thread. So I'll have to postpone this to LyX 1.7.

regards Uwe

--
Dr. Hellmut Weber         [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Degenfeldstraße 2         tel   +49-89-3081172