Richard Heck schrieb:

Why do you have to explain them simply to use them?

Imagine you are a rather new or average LyXer and read the docs because you are interested in the different features. You surely want to know what the black boxes are for. When you found it out, you surely also want to use them for your documents. That's how I act when reading.

LyX already comes with pre-defined character styles, and you can just talk about how to use those.

Bold, Noun, Emphasize, etc. are already explained when you use them via the toolbar or text style dialog. They are not yet useful in the meaning of character styles. I mean having a character style Noun doesn't help. For real documents you need a custom character style like "monthly business report" or something. This cold also be noun, but then you have it separated from the other noun document parts. So when your boss tells you the business report parts have to be bold, italic in the font size smaller, you are able to change them with a few clicks.
So currently it is no difference if you use noun as character style or via the
toolbar buttons.

regards Uwe