On 28-4-2011 16:49, Richard Heck wrote:
> On 04/28/2011 10:31 AM, Tommaso Cucinotta wrote:
>> Il 26/04/2011 20:14, Julien Rioux ha scritto:
>>> I don't feel the need to move to git. At all.
>>
>> I'm seeing 2 discussions merged, in this thread:
>> 1) what development model to use (how many branches, what & how often to
>> commit where, what & how often to release, etc.)
>> 2) what development tools to use to implement (the proposed changes to) 1).
>>
> I think this is exactly right. And we should decide (1) before we decide (2).

I see these as different decisions. Even if we do not change the
development model, git offers benefits. If we switch to git, we
might want to make use of the easier task of having multiple
release-branches.

> A while ago I wrote a set of scripts that helped me manage development in
> svn branches. I.e., merging trunk into the branch, and so forth. It may
> be that git makes this sort of thing easier, but, obviously, it's not as
> if this kind of thing can't be one in svn.

I dare you to write an octopus merge algorithm (which also works on Windows).

> I'll also note, with some bemusement, that I started XHTML development
> in an svn branch, and then everyone told me not to do that but just to
> do it in trunk.

Because the handling of branches in svn is just PITA. Otherwise it would
have been a good idea.

Though I have to admit that merge conflicts might become annoying if you
develop a feature which touches approximately every file in the repo.

Vincent