On 04/05/2011 17:31, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 05:12:30PM +0200, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
On 04/05/2011 17:08, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 04:52:16PM +0200, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
On 04/05/2011 16:32, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 03:54:32PM +0200, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
* Use CMake as our build system for all platforms
I am strongly against this.
I should have said:

* Use CMake as our _main_ build system for all platforms

We can of course still keep autotools as an alternative for former
platforms that are only supported by autotools. But CMake is now
basically the default on MAC and Windows and I use it under Linux as
well. So it really deserves to be moved upstream along the source code.
CMake together with CPack, would be useful for rpm and deb generation
under Linux as well.
Sigh... That's how things change. Once upon a time we had the Mac and
Windows ports, in the future we will have the Linux port...
No, we have a cross-platform program, we need a real cross-platform
build system, as simple as that. And yes, cygwin is just another
platform, but it is not our main Windows platform.
I really don't understand the cygwin argument here.

I was answering your argument about autotools portability to Windows in advance :-P

With all due respect, I don't think that our cmake experts have the
level of expertise of our autotool expert(s).
With all due respect, I don't think cmake requires as much expertise
as autotools and that's a good thing. What will happen when we don't
have any more m4 and perl expert in the list? But as I said, I am
*not* proposing to kill autotools, just to give cmake support a bit
more respect. I don't use autotools at all and I really don't think
I am missing anything you know...
You know, even who uses Windows doesn't think he is missing anything
a linux user knows... on the contrary.

I know, as I am mostly a Linux user... anyway, please enlighten me, what am I missing as a developer by not using autotools under Linux?

At least I know what I gain:
* QtCreator direct support
* Cross-platformness
* glob support