On 04/05/2011 18:22, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 05:37:47PM +0200, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
On 04/05/2011 17:31, Enrico Forestieri wrote:
I really don't understand the cygwin argument here.
I was answering your argument about autotools portability to Windows
in advance :-P
Still, I don't get what you mean. I successfully use autotools for
building a MinGW version of LyX without any fuss.

Are you playing with words? I know that; and you can even make autotools to use the MSVC compiler FWIW... But you have to install a lot of things before this can be possible. But please try to understand that that's not what typical Windows or Mac developers are used to do. Cmake is simple to install and will adapt to what is commonly used on each platform. Even Linux developers tend to use cmake nowadays, mainly because of IDE integration.

You know, even who uses Windows doesn't think he is missing anything
a linux user knows... on the contrary.
I know, as I am mostly a Linux user... anyway, please enlighten me,
what am I missing as a developer by not using autotools under Linux?

At least I know what I gain:
* QtCreator direct support
* Cross-platformness
* glob support
* ease of use
* easy to modify
See, when you want to change something that is well established and
that works,

Again not for vanilla Windows.

  you have to make a list of what the stubborn conservatives
are missing (and hope they are really missing it). Of your list, I am
not sure only about the first item, but I don't miss it. On the contrary,
I am sure I will miss something if I were forced to use cmake. It is
something that has no importance to you, no doubt. In the same vein,
what is important to you maybe has no value for me

If what you think has no value to me I wouldn't waste my time discussing this with you. Besides, nobody will force you to use cmake just as nobody forced me to use autotools.

Abdel.