On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Enrico Forestieri <for...@lyx.org> wrote:

>  On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 06:58:33PM +0200, Vincent van Ravesteijn wrote:
> > >

> > > I think that more attention should be put in the memory footprint. I
> have
> > > the impression that LyX is becoming a bloatware.
> > >

> > Apart from which features are (un)necessary, can you say where you think
> > that we should look first to improve on the subject ? Do you think
> existing
> > features can be made simpler, or do you think that there are mistakes in
> the
> > code, or something else ?
>
> Again, I am not going to point the finger against something in particular.
> I would like that major attention be paid to the increasead bloat with
> respect to the benefits that come from a particular feature.

Don't get me wrong. I agree with you on this. We might differ in the opinion
what is a useful feature and what is not, but I also want to be careful not
to introduce stuff just because it is cool and shows off what an exciting
things we can do.

That's why I asked what could be done to slim LyX down, to let the important
features get better and to minimize the costs for the less important ones. I
just don't know right now where to start and what to do, that's why I asked.

Removing the threads and QProcess is not an option at the moment, so let's
focus on how we can systematically work to a leaner LyX.

Vincent