On 05/04/2011 04:48 PM, Rob Oakes wrote:
On May 4, 2011, at 2:38 PM, Pavel Sanda wrote:

Rob Oakes wrote:
The book I've been working on takes nearly 15 minutes to compile.\

this looks horrible. what hardware and OS do you use?
Not looks, is horrible.

But, in LyX's defense, it's a very complicated book and the export time is
pretty comparable to what I'd get in InDesign or Scribus. LyX is far superior,
though, because this book would be prohibitively difficult in either program.
(Probably impossible in Scribus. It would require some significant workarounds
in InDesign.)

I'm currently working on a 2007 era MacBook Pro with 4 GB of RAM. But
processing times are similar on my Dell Workstation (2006, similar specs). If
using the desktop workstation, compile time is about half that.

how many pagesof text and pictures? any external-insets processing?

There is about 500 pages of text and pictures. There are slightly more than a
thousand separate images (if you add up all the screenshots), and many of them
are very large. The document requires Sweave processing prior to running xetex.
 (Which incidentally is also one of the reasons why it takes so long to
compile. XeTeX is generally slower than pdfTeX. I haven't really experimented
with luaTeX, so I can't comment on how it compares.)

I think there may be a cloning issue here, namely, that I am not sure we reuse generated images now, i.e., I'm not sure these are shared across clones. I am almost certain this is not the case with XHTML export. We should check.

rh