On 02/24/2015 12:01 PM, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
On Tue, Feb 24, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Richard Heck <rgh...@lyx.org> wrote:
On 02/22/2015 03:45 PM, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
0004-Allow-cloned-buffers-to-give-alerts-in-runLaTeX.patch
- This is the patch I am least confident about. Conditioning on
!buffer.isClone() caused the condition to always fail so the alerts
were never shown. Is that conditioning still needed? I don't
understand this process well. I imagine that whenever I compile from
the LyX GUI, it clones the buffer (so that I can change the buffer
while compiling is going on). In which case is !buffer.isClone() true
(can you give me steps to reproduce)? Can anyone get the warning to
activate *without* this patch (e.g. try to compile a blank .lyx file)?

Can anyone explain further the necessity of this commit and whether
the Alert system has indeed been rethought in the last few years?

This seems to have been committed right when the whole cloning idea was
first
introduced into the code. There was a good deal of work done on the Alert
framework
after that, but whether it was enough to make this unnecessary, I do not
know. There's
one way to find out....
It works well when I take it out (i.e. apply the patch), but I'm not
sure if that is only because I have tested it in a certain situation
and only on Linux.

Unless you hear any objection, I'd go ahead and put it in. I am pretty sure that all the work that Peter K"ummel did with the InGuiThread classes dealt with this issue.

If not, we'll find out.

rh