On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 4:24 PM, Enrico Forestieri <for...@lyx.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 12:57:24PM -0500, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 4:33 PM, Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org> wrote:
>> > On Wed, Feb 25, 2015 at 4:07 PM, Georg Baum

>> > I would be OK with making it an error right away. The argument for
>> > first making it a warning is that from the user perspective, the
>> > documents stop compiling. We had a similar discussion with BibTeX. We
>> > currently do not report BibTeX errors. Jurgen implemented support for
>> > reporting errors (7e188c51) but had to revert (148317b6) because of
>> > user complaints.
>>
>> Does anyone else have an opinion on this? I am fine either way. At
>> first I assumed that because of the BibTeX issue we should be
>> consistent with our decision on that. But perhaps this is different in
>> some way?
>
> My vote is for a warning and an output produced in any case.
> If latex produces an output, that output has to be shown, IMO.
> Having the possibility of looking at the output may be of great
> help to pinpoint problems.

Interesting idea. If we do this, we should do it for all errors. With
this commit I'm just proposing to (either directly or in a future
version) add NONZERO_ERROR to be treated as other errors (by adding
NONZERO_ERROR to ERRORS = TEX_ERROR + LATEX_ERROR in LaTeX.h). As for
how we handle ERRORS, we could do what you suggest and check whether a
PDF was created.

Scott