So far I interpret the following opinions:

Enrico, Georg, Liviu: warning/error + PDF
Helge: Keep the current behavior (error and no PDF)

I do not know if Andrew was supporting a certain behavior or just
giving his idea of what is currently happening.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this? I view this as a significant
change so I would like to get a few more opinions before proceeding to
work on the code. If you have not followed this email thread, the
question is "If LaTeX has errors when compiling but produces a PDF,
should LyX show that PDF?" (currently LyX does not show the PDF).

On a separate note, patches in this thread also address the LaTeX
parsing problem and the lack of a GUI error reported here a few days
ago:
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/231655/lyx-cannot-output-to-pdflatex-for-a-specific-file

Scott