Original Message
From: Scott Kostyshak
Sent: Donnerstag, 22. Oktober 2015 18:45‎
‎
On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 08:55:05AM +0200, Vincent van Ravesteijn wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 7:13 AM, Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 19, 2015 at 04:33:43PM +0200, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
> >> Dear LyXers,
> >>
> >> I would like to have a beta release short after the feature-freeze.
> >> During the beta and RC-cycle the docs will be updated because this
> >> usually takes some weeks.
> >
> > Sounds good to me.
>
> IMO, it sounds a bit weird to me to have a beta release short after a
> feature freeze without considering the state of the codebase. I guess
> you announce a feature freeze, after which all devs will focus on
> improving the quality of the codebase until a certain level is reached
> at which a beta can be released. A feature freeze is just meant to
> bundle the devs' energy to focus on bugfixing and polishing existing
> features, and to make sure that not one part of the devs are doing the
> hard work on fixing bugs while the other half is introducing new ones.

Thank you for pointing this out, Vincent! I see what you mean and what
you suggest sounds the most sensible (and likely the most common in
other projects as well). After the feature freeze we might want some
time to iron out some bugs before releasing a beta. And besides, after a
feature freeze it seems there is already the necessary information to
start the process of updating the documentation.

> Uwe, can you explain‎
why it is useful to have the beta released before starting to work on
the documentation? Why not start right after the feature freeze?

I need fixed strings. In my experience string changes happened frequently
before releases and with a beta they were more or less frozen. So I don't
insist on a beta but in more or less stable strings ( menu names etc.).

Regards Uwe

Scott