Op 24 okt. 2015 20:42 schreef "Uwe Stöhr" <uwesto...@web.de>:

> Am 23.10.2015 um 10:25 schrieb Jean-Marc Lasgouttes:
>
>> If you look closely, they are not closer than the vertival line over B_V
>> is fromthe text. Seriously this is a much bigger problem
>

> But it still doesn't look as good as with \raisebox in my opinion.
>

>>> Besides this, if you prefer formal tables, no problem (the Math
>>> manual was written before this feature was available).
>>

>> Yes, I would really propose that we use formal tables all over the
>> documents.
>

> OK, I will do this in the math manual when I find time.
>

>> It would be nice if the use of formal tables was described as the good
>> choice, and the culprits of normal tables with vertical lines discussed.
>> Where are these formal tables discussed, actually?
>

> In the EmbeddedObjects manual, sec. 2.9 and NOT in the UserGuide.
> As long as our default are non-formal tables I would not advertise formal
tables as the better solution.
> Note that the vast majority of the world's computer users are used to
Excel and Word tables and they are not formal. Even in many scientific
publications formal tables are not used. So for most users formal tables
are something special. I remember that I needed some time until I liked
them.

>>> That the tables are not floating is on purpose. I once tried floats
>>> and went crazy to get an acceptable PDF output.
>>

>> Well, I am a believer in floating floats, but let's keep this point for
>> later :)
>

> Me too but LaTeX's float mechanism breaks if there are too many floats.
There is some literature about this topic and some suggest to omit floating
if one cannot allow the objects to float. This is the case in the math
manual.

Hmm we, as the experts, should not set the bad example. The fact that LyX's
docs don't use floats will be used by the unbelievers as an argument
against it.

Vincent