On 2015-10-23, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 09:10:05PM +0000, Guenter Milde wrote:

>> > So to make sure I understand what you want with this FIXME is you would
>> > like to do something like params().useNonTeXFonts as you do in
>> > Buffer.cpp but in PDFOptions.cpp it's not clear how to access that?

>> It may also be that I misunderstand what is done there, but basically, yes:
>> I believe that the test at these places must be for "useNonTeXFonts" instead
>> of "isFullUnicode", because XeTeX/LuaTeX with TeX fonts behave more similar
>> to 8-bit TeX regarding the in- and output encodings.

> OK, what about the attached patch? Can you check that it does what you
> want as far as the two FIXMEs in PDFOptions.cpp?

>From what I see (and with my limited understanding of C++), I believe the
fix to be OK.

To be sure, I'd need a use case for this code. (Maybe the commit message
you found with "blame" tells something helpfull about where it is
needed?) The we could compare the exported file before and after patching
and see which works better.

> If so, hopefully someone else can confirm that it is reasonable to pass
> the buffer parameters in this situation. Then after that I could extend
> the fix to address the other FIXMEs that you have regarding
> useNonTeXFonts.

However, the main problem is ensuring the "latex-encoding" is "ASCII" for
the combination of XeTeX and "TeX fonts".

> Günter are you familiar with "git blame"? It is a useful tool for
> purposes such as these where we might want to check with the person who
> introduced a certain line of code. For example, if before your commit
> (otherwise it will say you are the author of that line because you
> edited it to put the comment) I
> do

>     git blame PDFOptions.cpp

> and then I search (with '/') for "isFullUnicode" it takes me to the
> first instance and tells me that Jürgen introduced this line in the
> commit baaceb10. So now we ping Jürgen (now CC'ed) and see what his
> opinion is on this.

Thanks

Günter