Am 15.01.2016 um 15:01 schrieb Stephan Witt:
Am 15.01.2016 um 14:41 schrieb Peter Kümmel <syntheti...@gmx.net>:

Am 14.01.2016 um 23:32 schrieb Uwe Stöhr:
Am 14.01.2016 um 21:22 schrieb Georg Baum:

So I still think that creating a new git branch and copying the files
from the tar there is the quickest and also safest way - no need to
fiddle around with any path.

Here I strongly disagree. By doing this, you have no control over the
information from the previous builds that is in the cmake cache.
Therefore it is never sure whether such a build is reproducible (e.g. if
you re-used the directory to build from git again).

I don't understand. It is up to me to decide which branch becomes
active. All other branches and their files are invisible for the
compiler and also for CMake. As I understood it CMake is only necessary
to tell the compiler where and in which order to take the files from. I
built this way now for about 2 years. Why do I need to take care of the
CMake cache? From where do you know that building from a git folder is
not reproducible? If that would be the case how can people work with git
in their jobs?

I also don't see a problem to build from a clean git repository.
Only thing I would ensure is to "sit" on tagged release.

Sorry, I sent it too early…

I think there is some misunderstanding here. You’re not talking of the
same use pattern of git.

I think it should go like this:

The git-repository checkout is the source directory.
The build directory should always be outside the source directory.
A clean build starts with removing the build directory completely.

Sure, the git tree should not be touched, and the build should be in an
build directory; I never tough some does in-source builds.

To automate builds and or make builds reproducible the use of build scripts
is good practice. There the build directory cleanup and passing of locally
adapted parameter values can be placed.

To make a release build you start from the tar-ball instead of the
git-checkout as source directory. The rest is the same. The build
process is only different in the location of the source directory.

Stephan

IMO, we should not release any binary that was built in this way.

I don't like your 100% "basta" statements. Building under Win is
obviously a bit different than on Unix. Have you ever tried TortoiseGit
or another Git client under Windows?

Instead we should find a different solution which ensures a 100%
reproducible build, like we do have for all other platforms.

How do you control the people? Why do you think I don't care to get a
correct build? When I make a mistake there I will be flooded by user
complaints.

regards Uwe