On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 02:02:23PM -0400, Richard Heck wrote:
> On 04/13/2016 05:20 AM, Pavel Sanda wrote:
> > Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> >> B) Branch 2.2.x from master and continue "unstable" development on master.
> >>
> >> To me it does not feel right that the commits in-between 2.2.0rc1 and
> >> 2.2.0 final would not *necessarily* be in master's commit history.
> > I would prefer to see 2.2.0 final commit in master, reason being
> > history searches via git log etc.
>
> Then I propose to go ahead and create 2.3-staging and 2.2.1-staging now.
> The former will be open for all commits, as if it were master, and will
> eventually be merged to master; the latter will be treated as stable and
> will be managed by me alongside 2.1.x.
>
> OK?

Yes I agree. This is simple and I think it will be easy for everyone to
understand.

In addition to what you said, it seems that master should be merged into
2.2.1-staging immediately after the 2.2.0 release (and of course before
merging 2.3-staging to master) right?

Do you have macros that accomplish this? If so, please go ahead.
Otherwise, I believe the following commands would accomplish what we
want:

git checkout master
git branch 2.3.staging
git branch 2.2.1-staging
git push -u origin 2.2.1-staging

To discuss another issue, let's take the situation of a very safe commit
that fixes a bug (so we want this in the 2.2.0 release). Which of the
following do you (and others) have in mind?

- commit separately (e.g. with cherry-pick) to 2.3-staging,
  2.2.1-staging, and master
- commit only to master, because after 2.2.0 is released 2.2.1-staging
  will also get this commit
- commit only to master, but every week we merge master back into
  both 2.2.1-staging and 2.3-staging

Scott