On 2016-05-05, mn wrote:
> On 04.05.16 16:08, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
>> Le 29/04/2016 à 17:05, mn a écrit :

>>> The shortcut for creating a single quotation mark in LyX cannot be
>>> as universal as the wording implies.
>>> On Mac with German-keyboard-layout the given shortcut Opt-" gives
>>> a correct closing-double quotation mark \textquotedblleft{} (“) and
>>> LyX does not transform this in any way to opening or closing single
>>> quotation marks.

Yes, LyX only transforms the "ASCII-quote".

>>> Since the Shift is only implied this is also a bug imho, since in
>>> the menus it says ^+"

This may be an alternative shortcut.

The problem is, that you have to distinguish between shortcuts defined by
LyX and shortcuts defined by the OS, window manager or keyboard application.

Do you get “ with Opt-" also in other applications?

>>> So this would be more correct to read ideally Ctrl-Shift-2, or
>>> Ctrl-Shift-", or ^- – but not Alt/Opt-something.

>> I cannot comment on this one unfortunately. Mn, please feel free to
>> open a bug report on www.lyx.org/trac about the quotes.

> This is getting more complicated than I thought.
> Not the least since de- and en- UserGuides are inconsistent on this matter!

> German says: Alt-Shift-2
> English says: Control-Shift-2

> de:  Um ein einfaches Anführungszeichens zu schreiben wollen, benutzen
> Sie Alt+“.
> (This also some kind of pidgin-German that needs to be reworded anyway!)
> en:  For single quotes you have to use the shortcut Control-".

The User-Guide is "interactive", i.e. it adapts the description to the
current configuration. This is intended.

> I just rechecked LyX on debian.

> On Linux the shortcut gives the result mentioned from de-UserGuide:
> Alt-Shift-2.
> On Mac it works with the one from English: Control-Shift-2.

> On Linux I regularly struggle to remember the higher planes of the
> keyboard layout. So there smart-quotes are helpful for me.

> My initial comment still stands insofar that the de-UserGuide currently
> does not reflect how things work in LyX on Mac (at least with German
> keyboard).

> I try to avoid “smart quotes” anyway, wherever possible.

> Direct input of the quotes may be accomplished by
> Opt-^  Opt-Shift-^  Opt-2  Opt-Shift-2 for German and English double-quotes.
> Opt-s  Opt-#  Opt-Shift-# for single-quotes.

>   So, changing the shortcut in LyX/Mac would actually _break_ that
> functionality of having direct access to that particalar glyph that LyX
> translates into \textquotedblleft{} (“) . Not good.

> While trying to check this with different layouts - for a physically
> German layout - of those I tested this might also effect Swiss, Danish,
> French in a similar way.

> Currently my undertanding implies that I would prefer to not file it as
> a bug in LyX, but update the UserGuides accordingly.

Requests for changes to the User Guide are also kept in the LyX bug tracker.

> (Ultimately encouraging users to get to know their particular layout and
> direct entry of these glyphs into the LyX-editor would be best?)

> In conclusion I think it would be a start if the UserGuides were
> consistent and would read something like “automatic/smart single quotes
> on Mac do not use a key-combo with opt/alt but Ctrl-Shift-2”

Günter