On 2016-05-09, mn wrote:
> On 07.05.16 20:20, Guenter Milde wrote:

>>> For English doc/UserGuide.lyx.

>>> [Since I prefer direct input I am also in favor of rephrasing this to
>>> “can use”.]

>> Also missing is a sentence about the possibility to reset the "smart
>> quote" key-binding if you prefer to insert the ASCII quote with " and
>> typographical quotes via system shortcuts.

> Nice. I hold that to be ideal.

Have a look at the commit in the 2.3-staging branch. Is this what you
intended?

>> These side-effects should be either disregarded or handled by some
>> means other than reversing the interactivity (e.g. "\sloppy" line
>> wrapping).

> If some of these side-effects are margin violations?
> These cannot be ignored, imho.

Why not? Margin violations are also common for "normal" teletyped text.
I agree it would be better to avoid them, though but this is fine tuning
where there is more important work to do...

> The adaption is nifty indeed.

> Come to think of it, this adaptability might also add a little confusion
> for newbies switching platforms. LyX is multi platform (to avoid
> -independent). But these key-bindings are clearly not identical on
> different OSes.

> Would a little footnote explaining this behavior clear things up?
> These problems might arise if you actually print out the manuals, reuse
> PDFs from a different platform or download the PDFs from the LyX-site.

I believe that this is usual for software manuals - keybindings may be
different due to localization or a different OS or version...

Where would you put the footnote?

>>> This explains how the shortcut-inset is handled once it is in a
>>> LyX document. How does one create it in LyX?

>> M-x info-insert

>> It is not custom (created by a layout) but hard-coded in LyX.

> I was asking this howto since I was not able to manipulate this
> inset/macro on my own. It is missing in de-UserGuide.

It is missing there because this is regarded a "develper tool". Most
end-users will never need it.

> But there seems to be a slight anomaly?
> Meta (Alt) on linux worked out of the box.
> On Mac this Meta is switched to Ctrl.
> But I tried Alt-x first, which produces just the following character: ≈

Are you sure this was Alt-x and not AltGr-x?

> Now, after that,
> Ctrl-x ceases functionality for the rest of the session.

Strange indeed.

The UserGuide in branch "master" has now Unicode characters instead of
the "quote inset" :-)

Günter