On 07.05.16 20:20, Guenter Milde wrote:
> On 2016-05-07, mn wrote:
>> On 06.05.16 21:11, Guenter Milde wrote:

>>> Actually, here I get with German keyboard and English locale:
>>> For single quotes you have to use the shortcut Alt+".
>
>> For English doc/UserGuide.lyx.
>
>> [Since I prefer direct input I am also in favor of rephrasing this to
>> “can use”.]
>
> Agreed.
>
> Also missing is a sentence about the possibility to reset the "smart
> quote" key-binding if you prefer to insert the ASCII quote with " and
> typographical quotes via system shortcuts.

Nice. I hold that to be ideal.

> These side-effects should be either disregarded or handled by some means other
> than reversing the interactivity (e.g. "\sloppy" line wrapping).

If some of these side-effects are margin violations?
These cannot be ignored, imho.
The adaption is nifty indeed.

Come to think of it, this adaptability might also add a little confusion
for newbies switching platforms. LyX is multi platform (to avoid
-independent). But these key-bindings are clearly not identical on
different OSes.

Would a little footnote explaining this behavior clear things up?
These problems might arise if you actually print out the manuals, reuse
PDFs from a different platform or download the PDFs from the LyX-site.

>>> It is expanded within LyX and not by LaTeX. I.e. the tex source
>>> already contains the expanded version (similar to the
>>> substitution of Unicode characters by LICR macros).
>
>> This explains how the shortcut-inset is handled once it is in a
>> LyX document. How does one create it in LyX?
>
> M-x info-insert

> It is not custom (created by a layout) but hard-coded in LyX.

I was asking this howto since I was not able to manipulate this
inset/macro on my own. It is missing in de-UserGuide.

So, thanks for that info!

But there seems to be a slight anomaly?
Meta (Alt) on linux worked out of the box.
On Mac this Meta is switched to Ctrl.
But I tried Alt-x first, which produces just the following character: ≈

Now, after that,
Ctrl-x ceases functionality for the rest of the session.

To reproduce:
Open document, (press Ctrl-x -> works),
press Alt-x (get “≈”),
press Ctrl-x (no more of these insets)

Is this intended?

>>> Not sure here: what does the key combo Alt-" (i.e. Alt Shift-2) insert
>>> in your case?
>
>> As stated above, on Mac with German-Layout
>> Alt/OPt-Shift-2 gives German closing double-quotes: ”
>
> As agreed above, this system key-binding shall not get into the LyX user
> guide.
>
> What does Alt-" insert on the Mac?

The system-wide key-combo produces identical output in every editor.
In TextEdit.app it is the same as in LyX.
German closing double-quotes.
In LyX’ default source view: \textquotedblright{}

So, LyX on Mac has Alt-” in the UserGuide,
where it should correctly read Alt-" – when on linux,
and it needs to read Ctrl-" (Ctrl-Shift-2) when on Mac.

And using the shortcut feature you just tought me would handle that in
German UserGuide, just as it already does in the English version.

mn