On 2017-02-28, Enrico Forestieri wrote:

>> > TL;DR

>> Sorry, but forcing a simple but insufficient patch to a complex problem
>> because the description is too long is not the right thing.

> You make it complex. We output latex and thus should follow latex rules.
> Since ever LyX was outputting -- and --- and nobody was complaining
> (I am not speaking about text or html output, which are different).

>From the lyx-users list 2014:
>https://marc.info/?l=lyx-users&m=140982011101908&w=2

  In LaTeX, and therefore also in LyX, there are two types of en dash
  (and also two types of em dash). In LaTeX the first is entered by --
  and the second is entered with \textendash. In LyX the first is entered
  with -- and the second is entered by putting the unicode en dash in (in
  my reply to Rich I listed three ways to do this, and Jerry's Mac
  technique is doing the same thing). It's not quite clear to me which is
  the "correct" way to do this. -- is older, and \textendash was
  introduced so that it can work with more fonts (or something like
  that).

  But as Jerry has noticed, they also have different line breaking
  properties. It sounds like the ability of -- to create a line break was
  just a side effect of its implementation rather than intended. Maybe it
  was suppressed from \textendash because it's so easy to turn back on
  when needed.

Unfortunately, during the 2.1->2.2 change the differences between the two
representations were not taken into consideration. As a result, there is
now only one representation in the LyX source files.

> Now LyX outputs \textendash and \textemdash and this is causing problems.
> What is the conclusion?

Outputting -- and --- would solve some problems and create new ones:

A literal EM DASH allows hyphenation in the word before the dash

 Three alkali metals are the usual sub-
 stituents—sodium, potassium, and lithium.

while the ligature prevents hyphenation in the word before the dash:

 Three alkali metals are the usual substituents—
 sodium, potassium, and lithium.

See also https://www.lyx.org/trac/raw-attachment/ticket/10543/dash-problems.lyx
https://www.lyx.org/trac/raw-attachment/ticket/10543/dash-problems-non-tex-fonts.lyx

You get the same problem -- overfull lines -- with both approaches. So
while curing some documents you break others.

OtOH, with EM DASH + ZWSP, hyphenation in the preceding word is allowed as are
line breaks after the dash.

Günter