On 2017-05-03, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
> El 03.05.2017 a las 12:05, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes escribió:

>> So you are telling me that, when you use plain babel (TeX fonts) and
>> arabic language, without any fancy leqno option, you do not see that the
>> number is on the left without asking for it??? I am surprised.

> I don't understand. Yes, without the option leqno I always get the
> numbers on the right side.

Also if you set the language to Arabic or Hebrew?

>> This is half-baked, IMO. Either it is super important to have a
>> click-click interface instead of writing leqno in a text field in
>> Document Settings, or it is not.

> Supporting reqno requires an explicit call of amsmath.

This is IMO rather an argument pro "reqno" setting:
It would be a benefit to the users if LyX takes care of the requirements.
We have the "requirements" framework in LyX, so this should be
(relatively) easy to implement.

> Moreover document classes that already don't use the default placement
> have a special reason to do so. I think we should distinguish between
> standard classes (all I know use right numbering as default) that can
> be used for texts you can design freely, and document classes for
> journals that are designed to follow publishing guidelines. With these
> journal classes the user is not allowed to format freely. Therefore I
> don't want to offer an option that would overwrite a setting that was
> most probably set to follow a submission guideline.

The AMS provides the "amsart" and "amsbook" classes that are (in your
above categorization) more "standard" than special "classes for
journals". Both default to left equation numbers and (via the required
"amsmath") provide the "reqno" option to override this default.

LyX has native support for both amsart and amsbook, so special GUI
support for "leqno" but not "reqno" seems inconsistent.

Günter