El 02.05.2017 a las 17:02, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes escribió:

1/ understand, for the various languages and packages implementing these languages what are the cases where the default is to put the number on the left. I have identified one, there are probably others.

2/ see whether LyX can have this knowledge (e.g. using a new tag in the language file).

3/ when the situation is clear, I can implement on-screen visualization.

I see it a bit different:
- leqno puts the formula number ALWAYS on the left side. This is clearly stated in the AMS manuals and also in the LaTeX companion 2nd edition. I spent some time in testing out Farsi, Arabic and Hebrew and with leqno I get the number on the left side.

So as I wrote, I don't see a problem. I trusted you that you got it at the right side but you have not provided such a case. If it was a misunderstanding and you have no test case for that, we should trust that leqno leads to left numbering and can setup the visualization accordingly.

Concerning reqno, this is already the default. It has only an effect for document classes using left numbering. But these are special classes for scientific journals. If the user want to override the requirements of special classes he can still do it. There is no need for LyX to provide support for this. Moreover this would be hard to investigate what classes are affected and why the use already left numbering.

So I would like to keep it as it is:
- LyX supports to switch the numbering side from the default right side to the left. - if a user uses a special class using as default left numbering he knows if overriding this makes sense or not. LyX leaves such a very special case tho the user.

regards Uwe