Le 21/05/2018 à 23:46, Uwe Stöhr a écrit :
 > As JMarc mentioned, he uses Windows all the time

Full disclosure: I would not say "all the time", but regularly.

JMarc knows how to act if e.g. MiKTeX 32 bit was installed as admin and MiKTeX 64bit over it only with user privileges? This would be fine, because I don't want to be the only one taking care of the installer.

This might be why we should try to "help" too much users and install stuff on top of their stuff. Keep it Simple.

Aha. But because the 5 % expert users don't read announcements I should bother 95 % of the users with a message they won't understand and when they therefore make a false decision they end up with an unusable LyX?

Come on. These 'canonical' users are able to understand your own scary dialog

  Now the installer of the LaTeX-distribution MiKTeX will be launched.
To install the program press the Next-button in the installer windows until the installation
   begins.

   !!! Please use all default options of the MiKTeX-installer !!!'

And they press Next as instructed until installation finished ! I do not see why they would become confused by a much simpler message.

Seriously, I would not qualify the user experience of installing the bundle installer as easy for novice and easily scared users. I am no blaming you for that, writing installers is tough. But do not overestimate the effect of a small dialog on top of what is already there.

What? Really? If this is your opinion, I am out. I never treated users like this. I tried to respect users, I spent hours to help users because I know how it is if you e.g. prepared you master's thesis and during the fine-tuning for the layout you end up with a broken LyX. Then you panic.

Then you wonder why you rely on a LaTeX distribution that only install packages when you need them. The TeXlive approach would have avoided that.